Tummy tuck surgery is performed to tighten the abdominal muscle wall and remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen. Good candidates for Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck surgery are usually women who have had pregnancies or weight loss, resulting in flaccidity of the abdominal muscle wall and skin.
Tummy Tuck surgery can give a woman profound improvement on the abdominal area.
Tummy tuck surgery can remove the ¨tire” or ¨roll¨ from around the waist. This procedure can remove stretch marks, loose skin, and even lower abdominal scars. The tummy tuck surgery can include body contouring of surrounding abdominal areas such as the love handles or flanks. Guide: Cosmetic Surgery
The decision on whether or not to perform suction alone (liposuction), or a traditional tummy tuck, obviously depends on the integrity of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. The recommendations are to have gone a full term pregnancy, and preferably have no further plans to have another baby.
During your surgery
- Incisions are made along the lower portion of the abdomen and around the belly button. The incisions may vary in their position and their length, depending on the patient. The skin and fat are then retracted from the abdominal wall muscles.
- The abdominal muscles are sutured together to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall.
- Silicone drains are placed underneath the skin and the excess skin and fat of the abdomen is cut away. The drains allow excess fluids to drain so they don’t accumulate inside the cavity between the skin and the muscle, which can develop into a complication called Seroma. After Tummy Tuck surgery they may remain in the abdomen for about a week. A new hole is created for the belly button.
Mini Tummy Tuck
- Incisions are made along the lower portion of the abdomen. The incisions may vary in their position and their length depending upon the patient. The skin and fat are then retracted off of the muscles of the abdominal wall, up to the belly button.
- Rubber drains are placed underneath the skin and the excess skin and fat from the abdomen are cut away. The rubber drains allow excess fluids to drain. After the mini tummy tuck surgery, they may remain in the abdomen for a few days.
After your tummy tuck surgery
You must keep you body in a flexed position. A snug elastic dressing, girdle, or body stocking should be worn over the treated area to control swelling and to help your skin fit your new shape. You should wear it for 6 to 8 weeks.
You will feel heavier right after the surgery because the body will produce excessive fluids, mostly made up of white blood cells, which aid in the healing process. You can return to your regular activities in 14 days, or as much as 3 weeks after the tummy tuck surgery.